Concert Band is open to all 9th -12th grade band musicians who play or are working on a primary or secondary instrument. This class is a prerequisite for Symphonic Band.
2022-2023 Concert Band Syllabus
Prerequisite: Open to all students with previous music experience on a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument or students developing a second instrument.
The focus of this class is to develop instrumental techniques, using a wide spectrum of wind band literature. The class will include elements of music theory, historical and cultural context, and connections to other disciplines.
Course Objectives (Students will be able to):
- Demonstrate technical skills on their instrument.
- Identify, define, and perform expressive qualities on their instrument.
- Perform appropriate technical skills and expressive qualities on their instrument based on style, genre, and context.
- Develop, apply, and refine effective individual practice and group rehearsal strategies.
- Develop and apply criteria for self and group assessment of performances.
- Define criteria used to select appropriate music for the ensemble.
Instrumental Music Program Mission Statement:
The San Ramon Valley High School Instrumental Music Program strives to provide a comprehensive and enriching experience for all students. We meet the individual needs of each student by maintaining a curriculum that is rigorous, standards-based, diverse, and equitable. Our ensembles make positive contributions to social-emotional health, honor individual identity as assets to the group, as well as maintain an inclusive environment and supportive community.
For the full Syllabus, please see the following link: Concert Band Syllabus